20 Jun 2011

Salted Cod with Potatoes and Peppers


This is one of my favorite dishes ever. My grandmother and/or my mom make it every year for Christmas and/or New Year's Eve. It was my turn to make it for my family in London this year... and I can't lie, it was very good!
And it is very easy to make... so here it goes.

Ingredients

- 500g salted cod fillets, preferably skinless and boneless
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup of pitted olives


Method

To rehydrate salt cod, soak it in cold water for 24 hours, changing the water two or three times, depending on how much salt you like (yes, you will have to taste it... don't be a wuss!)
Save the last water in a pan and pre-cook the potatoes on it (let it boil for a few minutes, until the potatoes are slightly cooked).

Generously coat the bottom of a casserole with olive oil. Place the other ingredients in layers, with a bit of olive oil in between them: first, a layer of potatoes, then a layer of onions and peppers, then a layer with more potatoes, a layer of codfish, another of onions, peppers and the pitted olives on top of everything. Pour some more olive oil and cover the casserole with kitchen foil.
Place in the oven on medium heat, and cook, covered, for about 1 and 1/2 hours (dependin on the oven), until everything is completely through.

Serve with white rice on the side.

Take a picture of it and send it to me.
Comment on the blog, please. It will make me really proud and happy :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! I just love cod, even more with potatoes. Your recipe is just like mine, but I also add some tomatoes and - sometimes - chickpeas. Yummy!

    Xoxo

    And I loved the idea of the blog in english, I have one for myself, but it's been abandoned for more than a year now.. :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!
    I actually copied you... I always thought of having the blog in English as well as in Portuguese, but it was impossible to do it on the same one... So I saw yours and thought it was a great idea :) Thank you!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete